Friday, 7 September 2012

An Essay on Fashion Faux Pas


Since the last long weekend of the summer has come and gone, I decided that I should start to sort through my closet and move all of my light, breezy and otherwise "summery” apperal to the more appropriate storage space under my bed. But then I thought, 'why'? Just because we are now in September, doesn't mean my wardrobe needs drastic changes! Given the hot temperatures, I could still get away with wearing the aforementioned summery items until at least the beginning of October. Hey! - why not wear white after Labour Day?


This got me to thinking about the “Dos” and “Don'ts” of fashion in general. Since fashion continues to repeat itself and “Dos” eventually become “Don’ts”and vice versa, why have rules in the first place? When I was younger, I remember one of the biggest fashion faux pas was wearing socks with sandals – translating that to a twenty-something year old woman today would make socks with heels just as shocking as wearing a-see-through blouse and bearing unshaved legs at the office. But nowadays, how shocking are socks with heels, really? I mean, what’s cuter than a pairing Mary Janes with patterned lace trimmed socks? If Dorthy can pull it off, why can’t I?!


What about the fashion faux pas of never wearing blue shirts with blue jeans? Denim on denim has been one of the biggest trends that has moved its way through runways, retailers, fashion blogs to the masses. A trend that my dad has been rocking since the 90s and continues to wear now, oblivious to the fact that his look has graced the pages of some of the most well known fashion magazines. 


This is precisely the reason I’m not a trend chaser. Who’s to say what colours, fabrics or silhouettes are fabulous one season and not the next? I definitely don’t have the same life style as the fashion elite so why should I blindy follow the trends they set? I’m not saying that I’m not influenced by trends, because I think most people are. It’s hard to know what we really like after being bombarded by the same images from different media sources all over the place. At some point, you will start to mistake “familiarity” with “liking”, or what I like to call, "Marketing 101".

 

So, in honour of all of you fashion rebels, rule breakers and free thinkers out there, I decided to dress in an all white ensemble decked out in sequins from head to toe. An outfit where people with fashion-centered-OCD may cringe at the fact that 1) It's past Labour Day and 2) I'm wearing sequins during the day time, but what are you going to do? I'll let you know if Emily Post rolls over in her grave.

 

Thanks for following and happy shopping!

Skirt: H&M -$30, Tank Top: Joe Fresh - $7, Scarf: Zara - $30, Heels: Nine West - $25, Bracelet: H&M - $7, Ring: BCBG - $8, Earrings: Nine West - $11.

Location: Toronto
Photo Credit: Mandi Taylor

No comments: