Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Save vs. Splurge Series - Eyes Volume I

So I know the theme of this entire blog is fashion and beauty on a budget which (not so coincidentally) happens to be the theme of my life; but there are some instances when I think one should splurge. In order to be an informed consumer and make the most efficient use of the resources you have, it really comes down to knowing when and what to spend your money on. On that note, we here at Budget Brunettes, have decided to start a little segment called "Save vs. Splurge".

CoverGirl Natureluxe Mousse Mascara - $10.99 (now 15% off) at Shopper's Drug Mart

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing girls at the checkout counter about to purchase $40.00 mascaras. I instantly want to run up to them and slap the tube out of their hands…but instead of acting like a crazy person, I will make my pleadings here: Girls, mascara expires every three (yes, 3!) months. This is because anything you put on or around your eye area needs to be sanitary.  Without getting gruesome, mascara just does not stay sanitary for very long after repeated use, air bubble formation and loose lashes in the tube. Because of this and since there is not a big difference in quality between high end and drug store lines (in my opinion) it is simply not worth the money. My recommendation is Cover Girl – their mascara does not flake or smudge on that lower lash line and it is the most lightweight mascara I have ever worn while making my eyelashes look luscious.


Origins Youthtopia Firming Eye Cream - $62.50 at Sephora

If you are in your mid twenties or older, you should start investing in a really good eye cream since the skin around your eyes is very thin and therefore more prone to wrinkles. If you have dry skin around your eyes like myself, you are even more prone to crow’s feet so go with a product that is extra moisturizing like this Origins eye cream above. While pricey, it is great since it adds moisture without leaving a greasy feeling, works great under makeup, and reduces fine lines as well as dark circles. If you have oily skin, I would recommend looking for a gel product instead of a cream. Ole Henriksen has a great one here.  As a tip, always ask for a sample before committing to purchase the whole product since you want to see how well the sensitve skin in this area reacts upon use. 
Thanks for following and happy shopping!

Guest Post: Emma Kapetanovic


No comments: